Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fourth of July

Fourth of July this year was pretty odd. Not like any other Fourth of July I've had. We were supposed to go to a concert/fireworks on Wednesday night. It's in the neighboring town where my brother John lives and we've gone there for several years now. The concert was to begin at 7:30. About 6:30, the skies opened up with another downpour and the thunder and lightening were right above our heads. Needless to say, we did not go.

On Friday- the fourth - we had made plans to go to John's house for a cookout. It ended out being a cook out/eat in because the weather was overcast and chilly. Instead of sitting outside in the sun, going in the pool and enjoying summer weather, we stayed inside and chatted and played MarioCart on my brother's Wii. Very un-Fourth-of-July-ish.

We left my brother's around 7 and thought about going to the fireworks in our own town. But the car is acting up - we're trying new spark plugs today -and it was getting late and we didn't want to fight traffic....so we stayed home and watched Boston's concert and fireworks on TV. Ugh.

I did hear the booms of the town's fireworks outside about 9:30 and went out to the back of our condo building and could see the fireworks being set off about a mile away. Hubby came out with me and we stood in our PJ's in the backyard and watched what we could see of the fireworks.

Not the most wonderful Fourth of July - but at least I got to visit with family and I did see a little bit of fireworks. sigh.

No comments: