Sunday, July 20, 2008


Saturday was a long day, chock full of fun things to do. My parents like to go on bus trips. They have a couple of companies they go with. One of them planned a trip into Boston. It included a trolley tour, lunch in the North End and a tour of Fenway Park. It sounded like a fun trip so I asked my parents if we could join them. We left our house at 6:15 am to get to my parents so we could drive together. Unfortunately, this bus trip leaves out of Portsmouth, NH, so we drove north to get on the bus to drive south again into Boston. We got there about 9:30, just in time to get on our chartered trolley. The trolley driver, Russ, was a native Bostonian and a history teacher. He was informative as well as very funny. You could tell he enjoyed his job and was anxious to make sure we all had a good time. He drove us all over the city and pointed out areas of interest along the way. Being a history teacher, he had tons of information about many historical landmarks in Boston. We saw everything from MIT, to Harvard, the Back Bay, the Aquarium, the Statehouse, Fanuiel Hall, Haymarket, the USS Constitution, and much, much more. The trolley ride was approximately an hour and a half long. Russ dropped us off right in front of the restaurant where we were having lunch. It was called Maggiano's. They sat us all at a long table and served everything family style. We had our choice of garden or Caesar salad. The main course was both Lasagna and ziti with chicken and mushrooms. We got nice hot bread with oil to dip it in. And dessert was Tiramasu and cheesecake. It was very good and we all came away stuffed! Our last stop was Fenway Park. Our tour guide took us around the park and stopped to have us sit in the seats while she gave us the history of the Red Sox and the park. She was very informative. Even though I'd been there before, I learned new things about the Red Sox. We went inside the press box, and also got to sit up on the new seats above the Green Monster. This was the only disappointing part of the day. I was hoping we'd get to do down on the field and actually stand where the players stand, but there was a wedding about to begin and I think they rushed us a little to get out of there before the wedding started. Hubby was disappointed he didn't get to go into the media booth where the famous "Rem-dog" announces the game. It was about 7pm before we got back. A long day but a lot of fun. We saw new things in Boston we'd never seen before, such as Rose Kennedy's garden and also the Victory Gardens that are still being used. Enjoy the slide show to the right of the blog. We took 135 pictures! But I sorted them so you wouldn't have to look at 45 pictures of the Green Monster!

No comments: