Sunday, October 19, 2008

Making Strides for Cancer Walkathon

Today was the Walkathon for Cancer that our family participated in to support my Mom, who is a 14 month survivor. Mom had been working out at Curves before her diagnosis, and the people at Curves are huge supporters of Breast Cancer research and the search for a cure. We walked with the group from Curves of Hampstead. It was a bright, beautiful New England fall day....perfect to celebrate all the Survivors who were there with their families and friends. Below is the group of people who walked just in support of my Mom: Back Row: My brother John, my daughter Jamie, my sister Chris, my nephew Marc, my neice Jessica, my friend Sylvie, my husband Tag, and me. Middle Row: My neice Samantha, my Mom, my Dad, and in front is my neice Laura. Our family group raised about $1800. We got there and there were huge balloon arches in pink and white. A band was playing and a dance group was entertaining the crowd as we waited for the walk to begin. There were bagels and bananas and apples, coffee and hot apple cider. There were tables for raffles and lots of free giveaways as well. They did a few speeches, then read off the names of the survivors present who each came up to receive a pink carnation.

My mom on the left with two of her survivor friends from Curves. The Curves group raised $8600. And the Exeter Making Strides group raised $226,000. It was just one group of many from around the state who walked on this day.

Four of my Mom's granddaughters: Jamie, Jessica, Samanth and Laura.

Everyone did a great job of walking the 3.2 miles, including my Dad who underwent triple-bypass surgery in January. I'm so proud of both my parents for their courage and strength, and proud of my whole family for supporting such a worthwhile cause.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Karen the official Hampstead Curves Team total is 8,711.00. The Exeter Hospital total is 229,000.00. Thanks for the nice write up,

love MOm