Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Olympics are Here!

I'm very excited about the Olympics. I just love them. I don't watch the X-treme sports at other times of the year. I'm not fascinated with the World Games or whatever. There's something so special about the Olympics. It brings out the patriotism in everyone. Last night was the Opening Ceremony in Vancouver. The beautiful shots they showed of Vancouver and the area around it makes me want to go visit there. It looks amazing. And the Opening Ceremonies were great. Totally different from Bejing's Opening Ceremonies, which I think they did on purpose. Vancouver is not the techno-town that Bejing is. They did a good job of showing their national heritage. It was no surprise to me that Wayne Gretzky was lighting the cauldron. He's the greatest athlete Canada has ever produced and he deserved the honor. I think it proved what I said about Vancouver not being a techno-town when the lighting of the cauldron went awry. I think the participants did a good job of trying to hide the fact that something was wrong, and they managed to salvage the moment and make it beautiful. When I was younger it was all about the figure skating. I knew all the skaters and followed it avidly. Now, I have to admit that the snow-boarding half-pipe really is my favorite. It's so exciting and so scary. I hope USA kicks ass in medals. I'm looking forward to the next two weeks of competition. It's fun and exciting and something you don't get to see often enough. I'm glad I get to watch it from the comfort of my living room.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it all, but am particularly fond of ski jumping and speed skating and bobsledding...

Jules AF said...

Meh, I don't get into the Olympics. I never have. I never will.