Friday, February 29, 2008

Prescription Saga

So....I've been taking medication for high blood pressure for about 30 years. Luckily for me, it's the cheapest medication in the world....about $12 for a 90 day supply. I'd been without insurance for quite a while, so the cheap price was a blessing. This January I went on my husband's health insurance and the first time I had the prescription filled I was surprised to find out that the insurance company would only pay for a 30 day supply and they charge you a $10 co-payment. Now let's do the math here....that makes it $30 for a 90 day supply. So I asked the pharmacy, which at the time was Brooks, to let me pay out of pocket and they were fine with that. Yesterday I went to have it filled again and I carefully reminded them not to put it through the insurance and when I went to pick it up the price was $25! I checked that they'd followed my instructions and they had. When I asked why the price was double the usual price, they said I should call 1-800-rite-aid. Uh Huh....Rite Aid bought out Brooks. I was not a happy camper so when I got home I called the Rite Aid number and the nice lady told me she'd forward my message on to a district manager. With very little faith that I'd get called back I called around and found out Walmart Pharmacy would fill it for the $12. Fine...Walmart would be getting my business the next time I needed the prescription filled. Then low and behold, 2 days later, I did get a call from Rite-Aid's district manager who was very sympathetic. When I told him I could get the same prescription at Walmart for $12, he said that he would credit my account at Rite-Aid for the $13 I was charged extra, and he would instruct the pharmacy to charge me $12 for my prescription from now on. Customer Service!! I thought it was a dying art in this country! Of course, it's going to be 90 days or so before I got back to refill the prescription and find out if this guy was for real. I'll keep you updated!

No comments: