Friday, April 22, 2011

A Little Levity

When Hubby and I got married, I was determined not to try to do anything to change him.  I love him just the way he is. 

His style of dress has always been......different.  He's one of those unusual people who really doesn't care how he looks.  And I respect that.  He's a grown man.  If he wants to dress like the *old* hippie that he is, that's his perogative.

But there are some occasions when he needs a guiding hand.   Enter.....the wife.

Yesterday was one of those days.   It was his mother's wake.   So first thing in the morning, I asked him to lay out the clothes he was going to wear so I could inspect them.   Of course, he gave me flak.  "Yes, mother," he says.   

So I lectured him.  "Listen, you're married now, and how you dress reflects on me.   People are either going to say, 'oh look, he looks great...he must be married', or they're going to say, 'what the hell? I thought he was married?'

With a certain amount of 'attitude' Hubby pulled out several pairs of pants, shirts and jackets.  And then he pulled a crumpled tie out of a drawer.   "The tie is okay," I said, " but it needs to be ironed."    Hubby didn't really care, but I did, so I pulled out the ironing board to iron the shirt and the tie.

Unfortunately, I misjudged the heat of the iron................


I immediately grabbed the tie to my chest and started laughing.   Hubby looked at me quizzically, and I blurted out, "That wasn't your favorite tie, was it?"    When he saw what I had done, he started laughing too.

And there we were, two lunatics laughing like nuts in the our kitchen on the morning of his mother's wake.

He then proceeded to thank me for taking such good care of him, commenting upon how lucky he was to have a wife who dressed him so nice and made him look so good.   I just laughed harder.

2 comments:

tag vennard said...

I should have worn it !!!

Debbie said...

What a great gift to be able to laugh like that on such a sad day. And why is it that our best efforts always backfire like that?