Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sometimes the Old Fashioned Way works Best

Working to find the right pieces of furniture and accessories for our house has been fun.   I'm a big proponent of buying things used.....for two reasons.  1) I believe there's just too much "stuff" in the world, and we should do our best to recycle rather than buying all new things.   2) I'm too cheap to go out and buy a living room set for $1000 when I can get the exact same thing, in great condition, for $200.

So I spend some time on Freecycle and Craigslist looking for the things I want or need for the house.  And I've done pretty well.   Sometimes you have to be patient until the right thing comes along.

I've been watching for a kitchen set.  I wanted a round table with a leaf to make it bigger, and a pedestal support so we could sit more people around it.   And I found just the right thing on Craigslist.


 The legs of the chairs could use some fixing up....the people I bought it from have kids and dogs.  But other than that, it's a pretty nice table.

The table we had been using was one that had been left here by the previous owners.  We had no use for it so I put it on Freecycle.    We didn't get a single bite.

So I put it under "free stuff" on Craigslist.   I got a bite or two, but nobody followed through.

I even mentioned it on Facebook.   Nothing.

Finally, Hubby put it on the front lawn with a sign saying "free".   And sometime during the day, someone took it.

Sometimes, all the technology in the world doesn't work as well as doing things the old-fashioned way.

1 comment:

Kaye said...

No kidding! When we moved from MA to FL -- somethings we couldn't sell we put out front with the free sign and like you, voila! They were gone in no time.