Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Better than planned

It's so amazing to me when something goes better than planned. I'm so used to things going awry, or not working out, or being a big fat pain in the ass (see previous post titles "Why does there have to be so many people?") that I'm amazed when things work out well. Hubby had to go for some minor day surgery. It was scheduled for 2:30pm. He was supposed to be at the hospital at 12:30 for pre-op stuff. Now, I know how these things usually go. I've sat with parents while waiting for other parents to have their surgery. It's hours and hours and hours of sitting and waiting for the doc who's behind schedule, for the lab, for the x-rays, etc, etc. This time, we got a call the night before that his surgery had been moved up two hours. Now the plan was for the surgery to be at 12:30 and we had to be there at 10:30. Wow....I liked that! We arrived at the hospital promptly at 10:30, and they took Hubby and I in for the pre-op questioning right away. We went back in the waiting room for about 5 minutes when they called him to go in and get put into a hospital gown. By 11:20 they were wheeling him down to surgery. They had told me the surgery would take about an hour. I figured the surgery still wouldn't start until 12:30 .....that they came and took him at 11:20 but that he'd have to do all kinds of other stuff before the surgery started. I was prepared not to hear from the doctor until at least 1:30, and in my mind, was determined not to panic until at least 2-2:30. The doctor called (on my cell phone!) at 12:30 to say the surgery was over!!! I had to wait one more hour before I could go see him in recovery, and we were out of there before 3:00. Pretty good for a procedure that wasn't even supposed to start until 2:30! Hubby is doing great, relaxing on the couch and insisting I need to wait on him hand and foot. I think he's doing fine!

3 comments:

Jules AF said...

Well, that's just amazing.

tag vennard said...

hunny please turn the page of the book im reading, give me another scoop of ice cream and massage my foot again ok? thanks
love ya
hubby

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Good for him! And, good for you! See, some times when we least expect it..Wham! Good things! Yay!