Friday, February 20, 2009

%$*$#$% Insurance Company

I had my appointment for my physical yesterday. No...I did not get the actual physical. Last summer I decided to swtich my primary care doctor. I never liked my doctor.....he had zero bedside manner. Then he left the practice and I was left with a succession of doctors that changed every time I went there. Finally, they messed up on some tests and were very cold about it so I finally decided I'd had enough. Since I was on Hubby's insurance now, I thought maybe I could go back to my old doctor, whom I loved. Last August I called the insurance company to check and see if Dr. L was on my plan. They assured me she was so I called her office. Yes, she was taking new patients but her next opening for a complete new patient physical was February. I took it. Then I blew off my physical in August at the old doctor because I knew the insurance company would not pay for two physicals in one year. I waited until January to request my files be transferred because I couldn't visit Dr. L if I was sick until she'd seen me for the physical and I wanted to be sure I had a primary doctor in the interim. The old doctor then sent me a form asking me why I was leaving the practice, and I sent it back fully filled out with a scathing reply. yep.....burned that bridge. Yesterday was finally the day. I did my 12 hour fasting (no ice cream for me before bed) and went in at 830. They asked for my insurance card at the window and I gave it to them. And it started. "We don't take this insurance." I answered, "I called my insurance company in August and they said you did." She double-checks her list. "Oh.....it says Open Access. That means we do." I was relieved. I didn't want to have gone through all this to find out I couldn't use this doctor. They take me immediately into the back and weigh me (cringe), I pee in the cup and they bring me to the room to get undressed. The nurse comes in and sticks me for blood. As usual, my veins don't cooperate and I will have to go to the lab for the bloodwork. That's fine. I'm used to it. So I'm sitting there in my paper vest with the opening in the front which doesn't quite cover my boobs.....okay....doesn't even come close to covering my boobs.....and the paper 'blanket' that leaves my backside totally open.....when the nurse comes back in. "Honey," she says, "I hate to tell you this, but we checked again and we do not take your insurance." I just sat there in my paper attire and stared at her. "Are you kidding me?" "Nope. I'm so sorry. We can still give you the physical but you would have to pay out of pocket." Well that doesn't make any sense. Even if I paid out of pocket for the physical.....which would be insane.....I wouldn't be able to keep her as a doctor unless I paid out of pocket every time. So the nurse left, I put on my clothes and cried in the car all the way home because I was so angry and frustrated. Yes, I called the insurance company. Yes, they were sorry. They will "re-train" the girl who made the mistake so it wont' happen again. But there was nothing they could do. And now I have to find a new doctor. Soon.

8 comments:

Jillybean said...

Re train?
How about they make sure she knows what she's doing before letting her work in the first place?
Our current problem isn't with our insurance company, (because they're great) my beef is with the staff at the doctor's office who can't seem to correctly submit the info to the insurance.

Anonymous said...

That sucks!! And the worst part is that they had to humiliate you first, with the paperware, needlesticks and peeing in the cup, before they broke the bad news.

I hate incompetence. I really really hate it.

M said...

Krikey! I loathe trying to find a doctor. So many hassles. I'm so sorry this happened!

Joanna said...

Okay, that totally sucks! I feel the same way about my doctor. I LOVE her, and if I had to give her up (even though she is a 30 minute drive away) I would cry.

Debbie said...

I have a post started ranting about insurance companies. They are universally evil, aren't they?

Kaye said...

I hope they didn't add insult to injury and make you pay for the bloodwork. I would raise holy hell! What a colossal pain in the patootie!

peewee said...

ooohhhh...them's fightin' words! I was cringing just READING this. Now you'll have to get weighed TWICE!?!?!? what is worse than THAT?
Tragic....truly tragic. I'm so sorry. My head would have exploded at that point.
WHY is it SO hard, in this day and age to simply FIND OUT WHO TAKES YOUR INSURANCE!?!?!??!

Sorry. this is your blog...and I'm on my soap box. Well, I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

I just don't understand doctor's and insurance companies. You have medical insurance to cover your medical needs...you should be able to go to any doctor you want, they should submit and the insurance should pay the bill...end of story!