Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Karen's Birthday Adventure

My Hubby put together a fantastic birthday surprise for me.  His company had taken him on an excursion to an Escape Room and he thought it was something I'd really enjoy.   So unbeknownst to me, he planned a day at the Escape Room in Westford for my birthday.

The best part for me was that he invited all my children.  When we got to the Escape Room  (unrealistically early for my usually-tardy Hubby) we checked in and he insisted on waiting outside for the 20 minutes before it was our turn to start.

We sat on the bench outside and next thing you know, my daughter Jamie shows up with her boyfriend Sean.  Then Nick and Kelly arrived and I knew Doug wouldn't be far behind.  I was completely delighted that when he showed up, his wife Kara and my granddaughter Emily were with him.   I didn't expect Kara because she's had a recent head injury; but after speaking with the guy at the Escape Room, and being reassured that there was nothing to harm her and she wouldn't ruin it for everyone if she left early, she agreed to join in. 

After a short introduction we were told our "story".   "A robber has stolen four Championship Rings from the Patriots, Red Sox, Bruins and Celtics. He has them hidden in his Boston apartment.  Our task is to find the rings and escape the room with them within the hour or the room will be blown up!"

We walked into the room and the fun began.  We were asked not to divulge any secrets so as not to ruin it for other people who will go in later, but basically there were a lot of locked cabinets and drawers and we had to figure out the combinations for the locks to find more clues or find the rings.  We were allowed 3 hints (which we used) and the guy had to come in with some long-nosed pliers to release a sim card that was put in incorrectly and got stuck........But, with our collective intelligences, we managed to get out with 8 minutes to spare!  The guy told us later only about 30% of the people escape within the hour.

And I do mean we used all our intelligences.  I was very impressed that every single person contributed in some way to help us figure out the puzzles.   We weren't allowed to take pictures in the room, but the guy took a picture of us all at the end.


Emily got the chance to wear the four rings before she reluctantly had to give them back.  Even though one ring was Tom Brady's, he didn't show up in person to claim it.



After that, Hubby had let the kids know that he wanted us all to go to lunch together.  Kimball's was right up the road, so we all went there.   I knew they had added an outdoor restaurant and was told the seafood was great and they were right!  It's my favorite kind of dining with ordering at the counter and bringing your trays to a picnic table.



After lunch, Emily batted her big blue eyes at her Daddy and convinced him to give her some money for the arcade.  Doug and Kara headed home but Nick, Kelly, Jamie, Sean, Hubby, me and Emily went and played in the arcade.   Emily's favorite game was Deal or No Deal


Jamie tried out the motorcycle


Hubby thought it was hilarious that I tried a snowboarding game


Jamie and Emily teamed up to knock down a bunch of clowns


I know Sean got the high score on the punching bag, but I lost track of Nick and Kelly and what games they were playing.

We all pooled together our tickets to see if Emily could win her choice of prizes.  She came up short and then a random stranger came over and gave her 800 tickets!  She was very happy with her prize, and I was proud that, since she now had 300 tickets left over, she paid it forward and gave it to another little girl.


After the arcade we went outside for ice cream - we were at Kimball's after all!

What a fanastic day and so much fun to spend time with my kids!  Thank you so much Hubby for such a wonderful gift!


No comments: