Thursday, December 22, 2016

Christmas 2016

Having all my children and grandchildren over for Christmas is the most special day of the year for me.   Our tradition has been to have a brunch about a week before Christmas so the families can spend Christmas Day itself with their kids.

This year I invited my Dad and his girlfriend Emma as well.  Dad doesn't get to see the great-grandchildren that often and he told me afterwards that he enjoyed himself immensely.


My son Doug showed up in his jammies.  He likes to get goofy....it's no wonder his daughter Emily is a silly girl too!


Luckily, Doug and Kara gave some jammies to Jamie so she could join in the fun!


We started out the day with brunch.   We had to be a bit creative in fitting twelve people around the table!   And Elise got her own highchair.  We feasted on egg and sausage casserole, hash brown casserole, pecan sticky buns, raspberry coffee cake, veggie quiche (thanks Kara!) and fresh berries.



Then came Emily's favorite part of the day - opening presents!




After the inevitable wrapping-paper-ball fight, Elise helped me clean up!



Jamie enjoyed reading one of Emily's stories


And helping Elise play piano!


Kelly and Audrey check out a gift


Kara and Emily relax in Hubby's recliner


Emily and Audrey play on the floor 


Elise found all my Christmas decorations and carried them around the house....including a penguin bigger than her!  ( a note....my Dad gave me that penguin the Christmas after my Mom died, "to help me not be sad.")


Tag and I open a combo gift while Jamie wonders what we got.


And my Dad finished off the day by telling a few really bad jokes.......as Emily would say...."Nooooooooooo!"


This day, for me, was heaven.  A houseful of my loved ones around my table, and enjoying the holiday season as a family.  Life really, really doesn't get any better than this.














No comments: