Saturday, May 17, 2014

Wisdom

The other morning I went over to my son's house to care for my 6 year old granddaughter before school.  Mom leaves horrendously early for her teaching job, and Dad usually does the morning care routine.  But Dad had an early morning meeting so Memere got the honors.

It's always fun to help Emily get ready for school in the morning.   I helped her get dressed, brushed her hair and put in braids, got her some breakfast.  She brushed her teeth on her own, and her backpack and lunch were all ready to go.

Conversations in the car are always enlightening.  (which is why I detest in-car tv's and hand-held games)   Emily was regaling me with a story about the Super Duper Fairy Club she and her friends had formed at school.  I asked her who was in the club, and she reeled off a list of names.

"What do you have to do to get into the club?"  I asked.

"You have to be Strong, Courageous and Beautiful",  she replied.

"You have to be Beautiful?"  I asked.

"Not beautiful like this," she said, as she held up one of her long, silky blond  braids.  "You have to be Beautiful on the inside, like a really nice person."

Wow.


1 comment:

Leigh said...

Here is a child with her head on straight! Sounds like her parents and extended family are raising a fine human.