Saturday, March 1, 2014

Mental Health Day

I'm one of those who never takes time off for no reason.  I work hard, and I have such a strong sense of responsibility that I rarely even call in sick.

As I said before, I had a bad case of the crankies last week.  Hubby was instrumental in helping me change my attitude.   But it's still been a challenge to get up every day and get into work.  Partly because of the weather, and partly because it's an extremely slow time at work right now and the days are so long and boring.

On Thursday morning I got up and went to the gym, and while I was working out I was thinking about the day ahead, how long it was going to be, and the fact that I have a renovation project going on and that if I stayed home I could get a lot done on it.  

 A friend came in and we discussed, and I decided I would do it.  I would call in "sick".   It sounds silly to some people but I was very nervous.   I'm not a devious person, and I don't think I've ever called in sick when I wasn't.

The hard part was going to be calling my supervisor....who is also a very good friend....and telling her I wasn't coming in.   Thankfully, I got her voice mail and said I hadn't slept well the night before (which was true) and that I was dragging ass (also true).   Thank goodness for voice mail!   Because my boss is very sympathetic and she would have wished me well with her hope that I'd be feeling better, and that would have made me feel even guiltier!

For some reason, I was suddenly full of energy!!!  I got right to work painting all the moldings in my hallway, and spent the whole day until about 3:30 in constant motion.   I drove to Home Cheapo in my paint clothes...figuring everyone was still at work and no one would catch me "out and about" while I was supposed to be lying in bed coughing.

And when I got home I cleaned up and laid on the couch and watched People's Court!!  Bliss!  I laid there and watched TV until it got dark and Hubby got home.

To me, a perfect day off ..... for the winter.  This summer I'll have to try being sick on a Beach Day!

No comments: