Sunday, October 21, 2012

My Mermaid

After I had made my granddaughter a couple of dresses, she figured out that I know how to sew, and therefore I can make her things.   It's been absolutely wonderful for me to take on that grandmother role.  I remember my grandmother making things for me when I was a little girl, and I'm so pleased to continue the cycle.

Her latest request was for me to make her a Halloween costume.  She wanted to be a mermaid.  I was honored!! 

Let me just say that every single second of time and effort was worth it for the reaction I got when I brought the costume to her house.

Emily:  Memere, is there a little something for me in that bag?
Memere:  yes, I think there just might be.
Emily:  (Screaming and jumping up and down)  Mommy!!!  Mommy!!!!!  Memere brought my mermaid costume!!!!!!!

When she took it out of the bag, she exclaimed breathlessly, "It's so beautiful!!!"

She had to put it on immediately and did not want to take it off.  Pepere and I played "mermaid" while we babysat.   She was finally enticed to take it off and put her nightgown on when I said she might rip it, and she said, "then could just make me another one", and I assured her it took me a long time to make that one, and that I would not be able to make another one before Halloween.

 
Isn't this smile worth everything?
 



"I am going to be a mermaid FOREVER!"
 

 
And the mermaid helped us put sparkle gel tattoos on as well.

3 comments:

Joan J said...

You did a beautiful job, Karen! And what a wonderful smile she has. Tell her I didn't even know it was a costume -- I thought she was a REAL mermaid when I saw the picture. :)

Me (aka Danielle) said...

that is priceless! and you are very talented..it is beautiful!

Kaye said...

You did a great job. Your grandaughter looks adorable and most of all, very, very happy!!