Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas........the way life should be

I've spent some serious time this year mulling over the idea of Christmas.   Working in retail, I've come into closer-than-I-want-to contact with the public.   And this holiday season, I've noticed more than ever how much Christmas stresses everyone out.

I guess I'm not sure why.  I think I've come to the conclusion that most of the time people are as stressed as they want to let themselves be.  They want to go crazy trying to make everyone happy, or they think they have to live up to everyone else's idea of what Christmas should be.

Sure, I understand wanting everyone to be happy.  I'd like all my friends and family to be happy too.  But most of the time, you have no control over whether or not someone else is really happy or not.  Happiness comes from within, and the things that you do might make someone feel a little better, but it won't bring them true happiness.

And why should you have to live up to someone else's idea of what a perfect Christmas should be?  I'm not saying be selfish, but a certain amount of flexibility makes the world go 'round.

Happiness at Christmas for me is being together with family and friends.   I can skip the cards, the gifts, the baking, etc.   But being together with the ones I love is what makes the holidays special for me.

And so, I've done my best to create my perfect Christmas around me.  I've worked it out so I get to see all of my family.   We don't necessarily get together right on Christmas day.   In fact, we've had four Christmas gatherings so far and we haven't even had Christmas Day yet.   Add into that a couple or three gatherings of friends, and my Christmas season is the happiest I've had yet.

This year has been especially blissful for me.  I've always dreamed of having a houseful of family and friends, of hosting my loved ones and seeing them all together in my home.   This year I was able to do that.  And it's been wonderful.

My dearest wish for all my friends and family is to find your true happiness at Christmas.  To focus on the way you wish Christmas to be, and to make your own dreams come true.

Merry Christmas to all my loved ones!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Words of wisdom...I echo your sentiments...Merry Christmas, Karen!