Monday, January 31, 2011

In Memory of Christa McAuliffe

It's been 25 years, folks. 25 years since Christa McAuliffe gave up her life as an ordinary teacher to go into space as the world's first Teacher in Space. Most of us remember where we were when disaster struck; just as we remember, if we're old enough, where we were when JFK was shot, or when the Twin Towers were hit. I was doing home daycare at the time. I had been watching every day for the launch, which was delayed over and over again. The morning it finally did launch, I didn't turn on the TV. One of the parents coming in to drop off their child told me of the disaster. I turned on the TV and watched, with a horrified nation, for the rest of the day and for days to come. Christa worked hard for her spot on the Challenger. We were proud as a nation, and as New Hampshire citizens, that one of our own was picked to make history. Christa fulfilled her duties with enthusiasm, turning a whole generation of children on to science. Hubby and I took our niece Laura and our daughter Jamie to see the Christa McAuliffe Planetarium in Concord, NH this weekend. It was unbelievable to see the photos and memorabilia of this time in history. Christa's passing was a sad day in the history of the space program. I thank her and her family for giving her life for our nation. I touch the future. I teach.

No teacher has ever been better prepared to teach a lesson.

I have a vision of the world as a global village, a world without boundaries.

Imagine a history teacher making history.

Reach for it, you know. Go push yourself as far as you can.

What are we doing here? We're reaching for the stars.

May your future be limited only by your dreams!

Christa McAuliffe (September 2, 1948 – January 28, 1986)

No comments: