Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What's a person to do?

"If the desire to kill and the opportunity to kill came always together, who would escape hanging?" --Mark Twain A very dear friend posted this comment on my facebook page after I posted, "Will anyone bail me out after I kill my co-worker?" Yes, it's been another rough day with the PITA at work. Another day of tattle-taling....another day of lies and backstabbing, another day of tires up my back from being thrown under the bus, another day of me getting my ##@ reamed. I'm just getting to the point where I don't know what to do. I truly believe I've been doing a good job of biting my tongue (which as we all know, is not easy for me) and keeping my mouth shut (okay.....as much as possible) and trying to mind my own business. But yet again, even though the PITA is the one acting unprofessionally, I am the one who has to change my behavior. Everyone in the office is up-in-arms over her behavior. Everyone is angry, agitated and ready to rip her head off. Yet, she is not the one being reprimanded. So what to do? How do we all get along? The answer is..........I just don't know. I put lots of thought into it, and this is the conclusion I've come to. I cannot let her suck the life out of me. I cannot let her suck the life out of the office. The other five or six people in the office get along great. And we should continue to do so. And she should be treated exactly for what she is........a child who cannot get along with the other children in the class. The trouble-maker....the one who makes it so all the other children have to stay in for recess. Who wants to play with this child? Not me. And so I won't. I will be professional. I will do my job. I will enjoy the other people in my office. But I will not treat her as a friend. I will not be kind to her, or include her or even talk to her unless it's about our jobs. Let her be that child who sits by herself at recess because no one wants to play with her. And let me be the one who enjoys my job and my friends and my customers. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

Jules AF said...

I don't even know what to do in a situation like this. I'm sorry.

tag vennard said...

I like the "kill her with love" option offered by Jon. are you strong enough?
i love you baby and I want to see you rise above this. I hope you can reduce it to a minor annoyance.
im there for you darling!
love
hubby

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

keep your head held high and be proud that you show class and maturity!